Back to top

History of San Ramon, California

History of San Ramon, California


San Ramon (Spanish: San Ramón; Spanish for "Saint Raymond ") is a city located within the San Ramon Valley and 34 miles east of San Francisco in Contra Costa County, California, United States. In 2019, the US Census Bureau estimated the population of San Ramon to be 75,995, making it the 4th largest city in Contra Costa County, behind Richmond, Concord, and Antioch.

San Ramon is home to Chevron Corporation's headquarters, 24 Hour Wellness, AT&T's West Coast headquarters, General Electric's Global Tech Center, as well as San Ramon Medical Center. The Art and Wind Festival on Memorial Day weekend and the Race for Education in October are big annual activities.

San Ramon was declared a Tree City USA on April 24, 2001.


San Ramon lies north of Danville, California, and south of Dublin, California. Towards the east and west, unincorporated county lands surround San Ramon. It is situated about 150 m (500 feet ) above sea level. Mount Diablo flanks the town to the northeast and is visible prominently from almost all areas of the town. San Ramon's extreme northwest, at the northern end of Bollinger Canyon, borders the Las Trampas Area Wilderness. San Ramon's western boundary, situated roughly between Interstate 680 and the Alameda County line, straddles the smaller Bishop Ranch Regional Preserve.

San Ramon's topography is complex, including a combination of the Diablo Range's rolling hills and the San Ramon Valley's flatter basin. With several new housing projects, the city is largely commercial and suburban, but most of the land along the perimeter areas of the city remains undeveloped and is protected by grasslands and oak tree orchards. The grasses are golden during the drier months, but with the winter and spring rains, the grasses turn orange.


Seunen people formerly populated the lands now occupied by the City of San Ramon, an Ohlone / Costanoan tribe who built their homes near creeks. They were taken by Mission San José for use as pasture land sometime around 1797. They were part of the Rancho San Ramon grant of land to José María Amador in 1834.

Not after a true saint, but rather after a Native American vaquero who tended mission sheep on the property, Amador was called San Ramón (Spanish for 'Saint Raymond'). Per Spanish tradition, Amador added a "San".





This amazing landmark is just one of the many throughout San Ramon, California:

  • Tassajara Ridge Staging Area
  • Forest Home Farms Historic Park
  • Central Park
  • Red Willow Park
  • Mill Creek Hollow
  • Inverness Park
  • Old Ranch Park
  • Windemere Ridge Trail
  • Canyon Lakes Golf Course


All of these wonderful destinations are located just a short distance from our location on Blackhawk Plaza Circle, Robert Arnone CPA.


Previous Article




Next Article